Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Math: Divisible by 3

For math yesterday we took our pile of number cards and divided them into odd and even so each boy got a pile. Then the separated their piles into whether or not each number was divisible by 3. A couple of the easy ones Tackler was able to figure out in his head. For the others, I had them count out the appropriate number of glass beads, then divide them into three even piles.

Sidenote: When showing them how I made up names, Bartholomew, Alice and George. Tackler loved my names and kept asking for a reminder of them and made several accidental variations on the name Bartholomew. Prince on the other hand gave his three piles to himself, mom and his Beanie Puppy Wrinkles. It was fun to watch them.

When they had their even piles I had them tell me how many each person got and how many were left over. When they were all done I had them work together to put their numbers in order (as you see above) and then repeat the list several times until they got comfortable saying 3, 6, 9, 12, etc.

This math game taught division and multiplication and I am looking forward to doing it repeatedly, with the other number groups. It was a great exercise. If you have any fun math activities, I'd love to hear them.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Mutti said...

You are just taking off with good games to teach the skills you want them to learn. Sounds like they are enjoying it. That is half the battle! Congratulations!